Friday, June 3, 2011

Paper Butterfly Pendant



In my quest to use my enormous paper stash to make jewelry, I came up with this layered paper pendant. I used the Spellbinders Fanciful Flight die to make the larger butterfly and Martha Stewart's butterfly punch to make the smaller version.

First, I punched out 3 butterflies from each die. Then, I made a wrapped loop from 24 gauge silver craft wire and glued it to one of the punched shapes with E6000. That way I can add crystal or pearls to the butterfly after the glue dries!

While the E6000 is drying, I curved each of the wings of the punched-out butterflies with my fingers. To glue the layers together, I slathered both sides of each shape with mod-podge and then pressed them together with my fingers. Make sure there is no dried glue on your fingers, because it will end up on your butterflies.

Let the glue dry for several hours. Once the butterflies are hardened, you can wire wrap pearls and crystals to the loop. I also embellished mine with Perfect Pears, copic airbrush & Glitter Ritz. I like to seal the finished pieces with Super Seal spray.

To make them into necklaces, I threaded Beadalon through the holes on either side of the wings, then crimped the Beadalon and added a clasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment